More Progress - Scarf

5:34 PM

Here is the scarf - almost complete. I'll be moving on to other elements in the image and will come back and adjust different areas of scarf as needed to either push areas back or bring them forward. 


Kathy of Red Thread Art asked how I achieved the mottled effect. There are four ways, well no, there are more than four ways, but I used four ways to get the mottled effect. 
  • Painting the shape with water and then dropping pigment in. 
  • Painting part of the shape with clear water (in areas that were going to be lighter) and then painting with a heavy pigment load up to and in to the water areas.  
  • Painting two colors into one area and letting them mix on the paper. This can be done with the paper wet or dry.
  • Lifting paint as it dries with either a tissue and/or a brush.
Because painting something like this can be mind-numbingly boring, I tend to make up shapes and change the colors around. This challenges me to do something other than copy a photograph or an actual scarf. It puts me in control of not only the color but the temperature of an area as well as the shape. 

You Might Also Like

9 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Thanks so much for your answer to my question, Laure ; ). I'm going to give it a shot before I pack up my watercolor stuff. I would still rather have you in the room with me, but this will give me a starting point that we can follow up with in Paris next year : ).

    I am so glad that you added that bit about changing things up. I, like you, adore detail. I tend to struggle with not doing a photographic copy of what I'm looking at. As you say, it's boring and....why not just take a great photo and have it done with! I really want what I do to have my "voice," even if I'm the only one that hears it. Thanks so much for sharing--I always learn something here~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Laure, this is superb, it looks so real, thanks for the tips as well, I have no idea about painting and your tips are very insightful for a novice such as myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is one to print and save! Thanks for the step-by-step instruction, Laure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really lovely! it's very hard to achieve a nice pattern when the cloth is so dynamic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you're very good at explaining and teaching! Fabulous post and beautiful scarf too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see how busy you've been over here -- and that you're over that !@?$! stomach bug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really shaping up to look fabulous, Laure! Great job--I'm enjoying watching it take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the soft flowy look of the fabric.... your drapes and folds are wonderful! Colors are great too!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe