109 Degrees in the Shade!

5:40 PM

That's what AccuWeather said the "feels-like" temperature was and it did! I think it was actually about 93º with little breeze to stir the air. But despite the intense heat with only the slightest of breezes, I did get in a little plein air time this weekend!!

201 S. Evers Street
Original Watercolor by Laure Ferlita
© All Rights Reserved
5" x 7"

This is 201 S. Evers Street in Plant City, Florida. Chris and I went and spent the day antiquing in Plant City on Saturday, and found some fun stuff to bring home - just what we needed! More stuff! The old downtown area is a maze of antiques, boutiques, restaurants and the like all nestled around some parks and the old train depot.

I managed to talk Chris into going back today so that I could get in some sketching. I had about 50 minutes before the weather started to really get serious with thunderstorms moving in. Since I'm not a huge fan of lightning, we left and it wasn't but ten minutes later and the rain started to pour.

This is the start of a new watercolor paper sketchbook that I can't say I'm overly fond of - yet. It may grow on me. I need to do more work in it first. I also didn't have the right tools for painting bricks but decided to go for it any way. When I got home, I finished the sketch at the kitchen table with the same tools that I started with. Why? To make sure that I didn't lose the feel of the piece by swapping out tools in the middle and getting a different effect. Just call me glutton for punishment!

Regardless of all the weather issues, ant bites, lightning and wrong tools, this was a blast and I'll be going back to do some more sketching in Plant City very soon! Care to join me?!!

You Might Also Like

8 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Laure....this is gorgeous. I hope some day I can paint like you. It totally captures a feel of sweetness, and I love it! (I love the bricks and the depth of color you've shown in them--looks like the right too, so you really must have sweated it out!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great plein aire. Looks like a wonderful spot with lots of inspiration. What kind of sketchbook is it? I use a Moleskine most of the time and love it. It's so portable and the pages take a fair amount of wash without falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the image - I really like the bricks and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! Plant City looks like a really fun area to explore. How nice of Chris to go back with you so you could sketch. This is a really nice vignette of such an attractive doorway. I went to Google Maps and used the street view to see the building you sketched (technology is amazing!).

    As far as watercolor sketchbooks, I've yet to find one I like. The paper always warps, etc. But I have heard a lot of people mention moleskin, so I'll have to give that a try. Good luck with your sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. charming little painting Laure, I want to go through the door

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful--not typical of some of your work, but it's charming! I hope you do go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this painting. I like painting plein air but don't do it very often. When I get the opportunity I usually don't have the right tools with me either. It is fun to just go for it. My expectations aren't as grandiose and somehow forgive myself my shortcomings on this type of painting. I usually learn something too which is always a bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe