Noodler's Flex Nib Fountain Pen

9:31 AM

Heart of Darkness Ink
on Strathmore Aquarius II Watercolor paper
using a Noodler's Flex Nib Fountain Pen
New toys tools! The latest batch of Noodler's Flex Nib Fountain Pens released this past Monday, and you may be wondering what the big deal is......

....it's the nib. Actually, it's the nib that makes any pen what it is, but there are other elements to be considered such as the materials used to make the pen, aesthetic appeal, weight, balance and so on.

In this case, the nib is very flexible, making it easier to get a wide variety of line widths from one pen. It makes for lovely writing with thick and thin strokes as well. The nib allows for more expressive writing or drawing.

Since the advent of the ballpoint pen, we're used to being able to press down with a lot of pressure as we write. Flex nibs quickly fell out of favor because it takes controlling the pressure on the pen to create the line variety and too much pressure could damage/ruin the nib.

In our hurry-up world, a slow-down like this was not welcomed. Manufacturers took note of the consumers' preferences and quit making these nibs.

Finding an older, flexible nib depends on a good amount of money and an even larger amount of luck. It is considered dicey at best. However, since whatever is old is new again, the flex nibs are seeing renewed interest.

My main interest in the pen is for it's drawing capabilities. I was pleasantly surprised by the pen's versatility to create very thick (2mm) to very thin (hairline) lines.

The quick sketch above is the first test with the pen straight out of the box. If you look at the eyelashes, individual pieces of hair and the eyebrow, you can easily see the variety of lines, all created with the one pen.

Of course, not being able to leave well enough alone, I went in with a waterbrush to add some shading.

The pen is lightweight, the cap fits securely on the end when the pen is in use and the nib glides across the paper. All this for the princely sum of $14, depending on where you purchase. If I were to lose it, I'd out the dollars, but that's better than $200 or more than one might pay for an antique flexi nib.

Kate Johnson has also done a review of the pen over at the Artist's Journal Workshop Blog. Speaking of the Artist's Journal Workshop book, it is now available as a download for your Kindle! Check out the details here! The paperback will be shipping June 27th! Can't wait to see it!

You Might Also Like

7 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Love your sketch here, Laure--flirty! I haven't tried the Noodler's flexible nib pens, but you're a good commercial for them, I'll give you that! They sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toys .... I mean tools .... oh how I can relate!! I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your new pen. I've got one on order and I hope it arrives this week. This was a perfect sketch to illustrate some different line widths. Have fun with your new pen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is on it's way! I bought a red marbled one. Now I have to start practicing with my two Duke pens, my flexible pen and my new Lamy Safari. Oh, have to practice with the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen more too! I tend to use heavy pressure so this will be an exercise in control for me!

    I don't think I'll buy the Kindle version of the book as you can't see the pictures well. This is one of those books I'm thinking that are best in paper print. I wonder though, how it would read on my Kindle computer app. Maybe I'll try it after all. We'll see. It'd be great if the color comes through on the computer which as we all know, it doesn't on the kindle. Thanks for the info on both pen and book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good addition to a sketch kit, what with the versatility and cap that fits securely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I'm going to have to get one of these pens. They seem so versatile! ...and I can't wait to get the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about the Noodlers Flexible Nib Pen, but you obviously do...because this is a great piece of art! Beautiful, sexy, flirty, really nice! Your knowledge shows in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just sharing about my latest "obsession" as these pens are fun, Sue!

    You'll love it, Claire!

    Yay! Timaree, they do require practice....any of the ones you've list as well as the Noodler's. As to the Kindle, I agree....I prefer a hardback for art type books, but for a novel...gimme the ebook!

    Excellent addition to the sketch kit, KJ!

    Kelly, you'll enjoy it. They really are quite fun!

    Thank you, Myra! Just having fun!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe