Daily Practice and Kindred Spirits

5:50 PM


I'm sure you've met someone in your lifetime that you've sat down with and talked with them like you've known them forever. Laughing, connecting, discussing subjects that you usually don't talk about unless you've known someone for years. You're different from each other and yet, oddly the same. You wonder how you could be so comfortable with someone after only knowing them for 7 emails and 3 1/2 hours of talking face-to-face and yet, you are.

I have recently met KJ for the first time, and she used the term kindred spirits and that's it! We seem to be kindred spirits on levels not usually touched until after years of friendship construction. It is a liberating feeling to be able to speak candidly, openly and receive intelligent, insightful and thoughtful replies with regard to these deep subjects. What a wonderful blessing!

Too, I think this blessing (in part) is a byproduct of my lifestyle change. My lifestyle in Corporate America made it difficult to find or make the time to grow friendships outside of work. I worked an hour away from home and was gone much of the time. I also traveled a fair bit. Now, I can rearrange my schedule to accommodate a lunch date with a friend. It still means working later to get done the work that I missed while out playing, but it's so worth it.

I don't have this working-for-yourself thing completely figured out, but I'm beginning to think that some of the perks, like friendships with folks like KJ, are pretty cool! The little bird up top is another warm up piece for acclimating myself back to the studio. He actually sits next to the little green bluebird cutie from a few posts ago. I think maybe I should have called this post “birds-of-a-feather!!”

You Might Also Like

8 Creative Thought(s)

  1. How wonderful that you've met such a kindred spirit. Isn't the internet amazing? Love your bird. I like the "birds of a feather" notion! Good for you leaving the corporate position--takes guts, but I imagine it was very liberating. Keep at it on your own--you'll do so well, I know it, Laure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful meeting up with your kindered spirit. You have been mightly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laure,
    I'm catching up up with everyone and Wow you sure have been busy. Love the new look of your blog. Hope your Imaginary trips go over well. What a wonderful idea.

    Love that little fly to the top in the bottom right corner. Could you tell me where you got the widget? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call that meeting your sister from a different mother! It is indeed special when you have that connection right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool! I met my friend Ellen through our blogs and when we got together again today I realized how much we have in common and how wonderful it is to be able to connect in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Wow, seems like we've all been meeting up with our internet friends in one way or another these past few weeks. As for kindred spirits, that's how I felt when meeting Kelly Riccetti last week. I didn't know her that well, only through you bringing her to the RLA blog, and then through your class. Yet, when we met, we carried on like old friends who hadn't seen each other in years and shared things about ourselves we wouldn't normally do, but it's something we found out we had in common.

    Now.... when can WE get together??? We'll have to plan a girls' retreat somewhere with a bunch of us, even a painting weekend would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sue, actually CA kicked me out - my job was outsourced to another country and it was about the time the economy tanked. The rest, as they say, is history! Traumatic but worth it!

    That's exactly what I think, Lisa, a mighty blessing!

    Hey, Toni, good to see you back in the blogosphere! Info sent under separate email.

    Hi, Robin, thanks for stopping by. It is indeed like two sisters and since I don't have one, I think maybe I'll adopt her!

    Hey, Andrea, I guess where there's a will there's a way - friends meant to be will find us through blogs or whatever means necessary!

    Krista, you didn't think I'd bring just anybody to RLA did you?!! ;•) As to a retreat - I'm game! We'll have to figure out the details and get it on the calendar!

    Thanks again, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can identify with the warm feeling you felt in connecting with her. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but those special relationships sure are precious! I love the retreat idea too.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe