An Autumn WIP - What is it?

6:23 PM



The colors are so far off on this one that I'm not sure if I'd know what it is if I weren't painting it, but I'm sure you can guess! Apparently, I'll be doing some calibrating between my new computer and scanner - yuck! Icky colors! Even adjusting the colors didn't seem to help much. (These are only the first washes - it will look better soon!) On the other hand, I am so pleased to say that I actually made it back into the studio today! About 45 minutes worth, which you see above. If you've read the blog very long you know that when I don't paint, I tend to get out of sorts and odd things start to happen.

Between crashing computers, new computers, trips to Paris, and a few other minor details, I haven't been painting and boy, can I tell it! Yes, I'm out of sorts, but I'm waaaaaaaay rusty too! I've been doing a lot of sketching while on location in Europe, but for me, there's quite a difference in the mindsets between sketching and studio painting. For one thing, my sketching is generally more free, capturing an essence of a place and no concerns about every detail. Studio work tends to be more exact, with close attention paid to nuance of color variations, details, and temperature.

But I gotta say - if feels so good to have a brush in my hands and to be back in the saddle. Too long gone. This painting is being done with watercolors on Ampersand's Aquabord and is approximately 6" square.

You Might Also Like

4 Creative Thought(s)

  1. This looks like a pumpkin growing in your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I know what that is! :-D
    I always wonder how other people see my images too...what I see on my computer isn't the same as what you see on yours because of the color calibration issue. I know I can go from my laptop to my desktop and an image can go from rich and colorful to faded.
    I like how you zoom in on a part of your subject...makes it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess now that you mention it, I see the different mind sets in play when either watercolor sketching or formal studio painting. I'm glad you found time to get back to the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know what it is since great minds were on the same subject today.

    Is it the mac you had problems with? I am going shopping next week and need to hear if you still like yours.

    I also got a new printer from my daughter and I have never had such a wonderful scanner-it is EXACTLY what ever I scanned. It is an Epson multi function one. I am in awe everytime I scan something.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe