Learning New Things I Probably Knew Once Upon A Time...

2:37 PM

Maine Things
Double Spread in my Maine Sketchbook
Zeta Paper - 4.5 x 15 inches
Ink and watercolor
You think you know something and then you find out you don't. 

It's a little disconcerting. 

As an example, I thought Portland was Maine's capital. 

It was in 1831. 

Then they moved it to Augusta in 1832. 

I can't even come close to just having the dates confused. 

And I thought a fiddlehead was some kind of soft-shelled ocean crustacean.

Who knew?!

I didn't know there were over 60 lighthouses or head lights in Maine, but I can't say I'm surprised given all the rugged coastline they have.

And did you know there are more moose (why aren't they called meese?) in the state of Maine than there are humans in Portland?

See all this fun stuff I'm learning?

This, for me, is about getting maximum mileage out of a trip. It's about building anticipation. And I will never remember these interesting little tidbits 3 days from now, let alone 3 months, so putting them in the journal makes sense to me.

I've created a collaged spread of the various elements along with some representative artwork. None of these sketches have more than 15 minutes because it was more about the information than the sketch, BUT…by adding the sketches, I've made it a far more entertaining and interesting page.

How do you build up anticipation for your trips? Do you do any kind of "specialty" page?

Please share your ideas!

You Might Also Like

10 Creative Thought(s)

  1. I ate fiddlehead ferns when I lived in Japan they were very good as I remember. I'd never heard of them before that! I still don't know all my Capitols but in this computer age I just let Google remember those for me! As far as getting ready for trips, well you have to have one to go on which I don't so I can't speak to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your calligraphy and illustrations are absolutely beautiful! I love the composition on the long sheet of paper! Makes me want to revisit Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to collect all your facts on a page like this. You're going to have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this page. It will definitely help you remember and savor what you're learning about Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing, Portland isn't Maine's capital! Shame on me, bacause I'm huge Stephen King's fan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super page and love the colors and text. Great! This is a perfect travel page and a great inspiration for how to capture small details that, as you said, you won't remember later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sure enough we called some people big gaumes !. If you can't say "I put on my coat, went up on the roof, fell down and broke my arm"...just right---proves you're not a Mainer...bet you a "quadder"....love what you did and each colorful item is fantastic...the Moose colors are to die for....even if we lived closer to Augusta, we'd rather go down to Portland for a "drive"...this is what families did back in the days for a weekend fun day, if we weren't gong to a beach..."drive" was considered the thing to do...you old traveler student, Winna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful page and a great way to record all of your discoveries! I still want to see Maine someday...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Maine is on my wish list as well as a trip with Laure! I love the Maine illustrations. You are always an inspiration Laure...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Laure - this is an awesome set of sketches. I am sure your trip to Maine will long be remembered just because you captured such lovely subjects there. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe