Calling All Art Journalers, Sketchbook Keepers and Illustrated Journal Keepers!!

3:58 PM

If you are a keeper of a journal or sketchbook that has some combination of words AND art, I have something on my mind and I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the subject…

Is Art Journaling an Activity or an Event for YOU?

For the purposes of our discussion, Activity is defined as something that is embedded in your life like brushing your teeth, wearing a favorite piece of clothing. Chances are good you carry a journal with you all the time and may whip it out most any time to capture something that intrigues you.

An Event is defined as something that finds you in a certain place and that might be the only place you journal or perhaps the event only takes place at a certain time such as you only journal at night or when alone. Do you only journal after returning from vacation? That would be Event-style journaling. Do you only take advantage of your journal when no one was home? Again, that's Event-style journaling. Or when something significant has happened—birthday, new car, new baby, new puppy or kitten, etc. That would be Event-style journaling. You may or may not carry your journal all the time, but it's seldom you actually take it out when you're out and about.

If you find yourself in both categories, which style of journaling best describes your style?

One last comment…there is NO right or wrong answer. I'm looking for ideas on what the most common work style might be. If you have thoughts you'd like to add, please leave a comment!


Is Art Journaling An Activity Or An Event?

You Might Also Like

17 Creative Thought(s)

  1. My journaling tends to be event activated but I'd rather it was the other way around. I'd like it to be activity oriented just something I do all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laziness, not thinking of something to draw or a down mood. Nothing that I should let get in the way of it really. Maybe too much facebook time!

      Delete
  2. Right now, art journaling is an event. My aspiration is to make it an activity, the way my words-only journals are. I want to feel as comfortable with my art journal as with my word journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What will it take to make it an activity?

      Delete
    2. Me too. Would love to change to activity led but life always appears so busy!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humm. I'm still looking for my 'style'. I love to sketch and play with colors and styles but I'd like to also incorporate more meaningful written journaling. I tend to think that I have nothing to say on a daily basis other than writing about the weather. lol. . Words elude me even when speaking. I sketch everyday but can't seem to compose anything very meaningful in a journal. I'd like to do more meaningful journaling daily rather than waiting for an event or a trip. I guess I'd say my style is more event journaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go long stretches without adding words to my pages as I'm a firm believer that a picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps your art says all you need it to?

      Delete
  5. When I first took a watercolor journaling class, we were traveling a lot and that made it more of an activity than event type of journaling. Family obligations have meant that the days are much more routine so it is hard to want to sketch something from the day when I have done that already three times. When life is just the same routine scene day in and day out, I lose motivation to sketch and journal, but then when we go somewhere, I always wish that I had stayed in the habit because it is almost like starting over after each lapse in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the rust definitely sets in when I don't journal on a regular basis. But I also find it comes back pretty easily. You also have a good point…there is an a cycle or ebb and flow to journaling. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I wish I could leave the house without my sketchbook... but then I'd feel nekkid! I'm always on the lookout for the "perfect" everyday bag... big enough to carry everything but not so big that it's obnoxious. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! I have a closet full of cute bags that seldom see daylight because I can't get my journaling supplies in them! But I detest carrying too big of a bag because then I wind up hauling too much stuff. Good luck on your hunt!

      Delete
  7. I am definitely an event journaler. I think I could be catagorized in another way. I am a binge journaler. I journal everyday for awhile then stop. Then an event might happen and it sets me off again for awhile. Maybe you could call me a 'moody' journaler. I don't mean just when upset or sad... just when I am in the mood. When I journal I must or I do get cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can claim the mood journaler title too! I am intrigued by the binge journaler though. I guess as I mentioned to Ann, there's definitely a ebb and flow to journaling. Again, thought-provoking. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Dear Laure - I fall into both categories due to the types of journals I use. Have some plain sheets in my daily planner that goes everywhere with me...that way I can doodle or jot down a painting idea, etc. Then my other journals are event ones - prayer one is mornings, garden one is usually done outdoors or from found objects of nature. Then there are others that I just grab when I want to just sit and write thoughts and doodle at home. I am wondering where this question is going. Can't wait for you to share. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Laure - I follow your wonderful blog all the time... but rarely leave a comment. But just a quick note to say that I love this distinction and really looking forward to the finally result.
    Definitely an activity for me - part of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe