Practice What You Preach!

1:45 PM

Wild Morning Glories
3.5 x 8.25 Inches
Watercolor
Handbook Watercolor Sketchbook
Coming home from my outing on Saturday I spotted a morning glory vine with hundreds of blooms! It was absolutely gorgeous!! I noted that it was close to the road and I'd have no trouble sitting on the sidewalk to sketch and paint.

I waited until this morning to go and paint on location. I should have guessed today was going to be an exercise in the adventures of painting outside.

We're having some serious wind today, 5 to 10 miles an hour with higher gusts. However, I had my little WHITE binder clip (I'm generally a quick study!) so I wasn't overly concerned. See prior post here to learn about binder clips.

And it probably wouldn't have been much of a problem except I also had a leaky waterbrush! Brand new, straight out of the package....and untested. If there's anything my students hear from me, over and over, is to test your supplies before you get to the field!

Between the wind, the drowned page and palette, I gave up on the notion of trying to capture some of the gorgeous shadows I saw and went instead for the blooms and a few leaves.

All told, this is about 50 minutes of work. I finally gave up, put the book (open) in the Jeep so it could begin to dry out and took some photos to try again later as the blooms won't last long with the dry, windy weather we're having.

I'm looking forward to working inside the studio. Away from the wind. I'm also going to see if I can figure out why that &*#$ brush is flooding the paper every time I turn it point down!

Working on location is always an adventure and never ever dull—get out there and try it!

You Might Also Like

13 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Still, it is a pretty page and you got outside for a bit.

    I wonder if the brush is missing the little black regulator thingy. I have some that do too little water but only one that puts out too much but it's my larger brush so I generally like that.

    Looking forward to seeing your morning glories done inside the studio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, just the same. One of my very favorite flowers, rarely seen here in the desert!

    Bummer about the brush, hope it can be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laure your painting looks beautiful despite the adversities you faced on the day. I well remember the morning-glory vine from childhood years; you captured the violet-coloured, fine and flimsy petals so delicately on paper too. Would make another lovely blog-header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...before I read about the not-so-enjoyable painting session, I thought "Wow!" when I saw this--soft, beautiful and watery. The blue is spot on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaaa--so true! But one would never know, looking at your beautiful morning glories, that they were fraught with all that craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this turned out very nice even with all the problems you encountered. No one would know if you didnt spill the beans on yourself. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah but you sure have a way of turning it into an upbeat story! I love the image that you captured! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh but this was worth all your difficulties, Laure. I love these flowers although we only get white or pink growing wild here. It's a beautiful sketch.

    By the way, for small sketch books on location, I use those covered, elastic ponytail thingies - they hold down pages without marking them. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. I should be out today but it is so cool and windy. The first time I have seen the sun in days. It won't be long and the morning glories will be blooming here too. I like your painting. I don't feel your frustration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the joys of painting outdoors! Lovely painting... still time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful Morning Glories! So full of cheer and color. Painting outside is always a learning experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty painting no matter how you got it done. These types of things always happen to me. I thought it was normal.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe