(Help Me To) Pay It In Kindness #ForOrlando

12:09 PM

Laying awake last night, I found myself asking the same question over and over.

"How do you stop the hate?"

What would make a young man so full of hate by the ripe, old age of 29, that he would take it upon himself to kill 49 people while leaving scores more injured?

I found no answers. Folks far smarter than me don't seem to have the answers either.

I've watched some of the vigils held around the world to mark solidarity and to remember the victims. I've given money to some of the relief efforts, and yet, I feel...frustrated. Like those few token gestures were not quite enough. Perhaps you've felt the same way?

You may have called your congressman or woman to ask for stronger gun laws, or you've sent a letter or joined in a protest or you may have sat quietly and cried tears for the incredible loss of life. I have.

As I chased this question around and around in my mind last night I finally decided there was something more I could do—I could Pay It In Kindness.

Paying It Forward
Here's my idea—I intend to pay kindness forward 49 times for each of the lives lost. Then I'll pay kindness forward 53 more times for each of those injured. That's 102 acts of kindness paid—deliberately—into a world that seems to have tilted ever so slightly off its axis.

If even one other person joins me, we'll be bring 204 acts of kindness into the world. And if ten of you join me, there will be 1,020 acts. If one hundred people act, that's 10,200 and if a thousand people act, that's well over 100,000 acts of kindness.

Kindness Of Every Kind
There are thousands of ways to be kind. Even the poorest among us can spare a smile or a compliment. It makes no difference if the person knows of our acts or not. Because we know and kindness has a way of making us feel good just as it does the recipient. A few suggestions:

Hold the elevator door...share your umbrella...buy a cup of coffee for the next person in line behind you...help someone pick up spilled items...tell someone how much you like their eyes or their smile...speak kindly when aggravated...take a breath to let go of impatience...tip your waitstaff a larger amount then necessary...let someone in when you're sitting in traffic...give a stranger a flower...let someone have your seat on the subway...smile as you pass people on the sidewalk...stop and visit with an elderly person for a few minutes...tell a child how much they inspire you...give blood...pay the toll for the person behind you...curb your impatience for the person driving slow in front of you...

Maybe, just maybe, if we fill the world with kindness, we'll begin to crowd out the hate that drives someone to harm others.

This Is About The Human Condition
This post is NOT about political party lines, gun laws, alternate lifestyles, religious beliefs, or anything else EXCEPT recognizing we're all in this together and it will take all of us to bring about change. I cannot change the world. You can't either. But we can change ourselves. We can all be kinder and share kindness with those we love as well as unsuspecting strangers.

Please SHARE
I don't usually ask for you to share anything from this blog, but this time, I'm asking you to share this idea with others. Share the graphic at the top of the image along with a link to the post or give it your own spin.

Join me in bringing something good out of the horrific events in Orlando this weekend. 

Thank you.

You Might Also Like

14 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Yes! Count me in. I've been pondering the events in Orlando all week, feeling helpless, wishing I could do something--but what?--and I love this idea. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great idea Laure. I try to make it a habit of paying it forward every chance I get but this is a very, very good idea. I will participate and share. I'll start with email to my friends and put it on my FB page.

    I won't be joining you on the trip to Tulip Time as I have lived one for 30 years here in Holland. :-) but I am planning on traveling to Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping to get the word out, Clare. That's 306 acts.

      Ah, yes, I'm sure you see plenty of tulips! We'll have to be sure to get some chocolate while we're in Switzerland.

      Delete
  3. I too have been struggling with these horrible events - not quite sure what to do. I like your idea of paying it forward in kindness. Just as Anderson Cooper paid homage to each of the victims that died, I too can recognize their names as I note my acts of kindness. Thank you for the idea and encouragement to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes 408 acts! Thanks so much for joining me. I had thought to do the same with regard to the names. Thanks for sharing and getting the word out as well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! And that makes 510 acts! I do hope your'e doing well. Miss you!

      Delete
  5. Great idea, Laure! Such a beautiful post. I've shared it, with your lovely graphic, on my blog. You can find it here:

    http://passionforpaper-passionforpaper.blogspot.ca/2016/06/love-one-another.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Idea Laure. In the end good will triumph over evil. Thanks for including us in your great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing Idea Laure. In the end good will triumph over evil. Thanks for including us in your great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I am so late in getting here. I keep getting distracted lately by anything and everything. Can't even find my cup of coffee half the time : }

    Yes, count me in. I always hope to make this my way of life. As St. Teresa said some of us aren't called to do big things but to do little things well. I think I will never do any big things but I can do these little things. Thanks for making it for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Count me in .... bit by bit change can happen.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe