A Postcard From NOLA!

11:21 AM

Can you stand one more post on NOLA Live?!

Postcard Pocket
One of the things we did at NOLA Live was to draw names for a Postcard Swap. Each person pulled a name of someone they weren't traveling with so that we could learn more about each other. We all agreed to mail our postcards around the first of December, 2011. Once the card was received, we each posted to a private blog for the big "reveal!"

I received this wonderful postcard from Adine Rotman:
© Adine Rotman
Posted with permission
This was from Mardi Gras World and Adine added glitter to really captured the glow and glory of the original dragon.

I wanted to add Adine's postcard in my sketchbook, but I didn't want to glue it down. Instead, I created another pocket so that it would be protected and I could see either side easily.

I decided to really have fun and play with the idea of a postcard on my journal page. I used a postcard rubber stamp and a brown pen to give my pocket the look of a postcard:


 I also included two special stamps:


For the first one, I took the Imaginary Trips logo, printed it out small, cut it out and then "antiqued" the paper with a sepia ink pad used for stamps. After I glued it down, I used a rubber stamp of mail cancellations over the top of it in another brown.


The second stamp is one of the hand carved stamps I made last year with the NOLA Live logo written on top of it.

Last, but certainly not least, I added a copy of my postcard to the page:


I painted one of the other "traveler's" on the trip, Cheryl Gebhart! This is truly an "imaginary" painting in that I combined her outfit from one photo, her posture and gear from another and the garden from yet another photo.

Again, I printed out the image to more of a postage stamp size and then attached it over another piece of paper so that it is raised off from the journal page.

We had quite the variety of postcards—cows, queens, windows, cathedrals, courtyards, and beignets all showed up! It was a lot of fun to see everyone's creativity and individual take on NOLA was lots of fun!

It was also a nice surprise to find in the mail and a wonderful reminder of fun times in the middle of December's maddness!

You Might Also Like

10 Creative Thought(s)

  1. What fun. I haven't done an exchange in a long time. It is so much fun to get Happy Mail. Inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I haven't made the time to participate in an exchange in a long while—I miss that kind of mail too!

      Delete
  2. What a cool card and fun thing to do and what a great way to save it too. You always come up with some clever ideas. I never tire of hearing about NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever way for keeping that wonderful card in your journal! The exchange sounds like fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really was a great idea Laure - it was fun to do and it made our trip last longer....as we waited to hear if our postcard was received and also to receive one from our mystery travel buddy. I've already posted the one I received (from Cheryl) on my blog. I guess it is time to post the one I made and sent to Kathy.

    Great ideas for how you are incorporating 'postcards' in your NOLA journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you've added your postcard to your journal. I need to do something similar with the one I received.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pocket is a great way to include the postcard you received from Adine. I was planning on using a clear plastic envelope for mine, but I may rethink that. I love your hand carved fleur de lis. That's another idea I want to "steal" - hope you don't mind! I want to get back to my sketchbook - it's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the cutest page! I like to make pockets to hold things in my journal also. This is such a lovely keepsake. Wonderful sketch of Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a very long time since I have written but you are never far from my thoughts. I visited all of your blogs today and of course loved everything.
    Hugs
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe