Uni-tasker....

11:29 AM

...what a delightful term! I stumbled across it in a December magazine that had been hiding in the piles on my desk. The article addresses taking a holiday time-out to keep from getting overwhelmed and starts off with be a uni-tasker even if you're a veteran multi-tasker. I found the article quite timely even though it's June.

Hmmm, I asked myself, am I a veteran multi-tasker? Well, as I considered this, I noted the bell on the dryer went off, the dishwasher still had 9 more minutes, and then the washer could get going, the camera battery was finished charging and could now be put back in the camera, and I had found most of the top of my desk. And it was only 9:47 in the morning! Multi-tasker? You bet your boots I am, but more to the point, do you know a woman who is not?!

In stark contrast, I watched my husband make peanut butter toast for breakfast the other morning. This is quite the undertaking and has to be done in a special order, with special bread and a special bowl (about 50 years old) in the proper order. Any deviation from the tradition and the whole process is doomed. I watched as he carried his toast—one half of a slice—one in each hand—one at the time—to the table. He makes 3 slices of toast. That's three trips for the toast alone. The coffee comes last and is another trip......

And I shake my head as I carry my 2 slices of toast, cut in half, to the table in one trip. My coffee is generally already there. In observing this, I note how much the man enjoys the process, the steps in creating the breakfast, and I think he may have the right of it as well. It is in enjoying the process that the end result is more satisfying or seems so.

Now, if I could just learn to enjoy the process of clearing away clutter and piles and not stressing about the other 217 things on the to-do list...........

You Might Also Like

18 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Uni tasker? What's that???? In theory I agree, as you well know, but in practice it's so hard! Maybe if I try to focus on just one thing a couple of times a day I could learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaaa! I think that's in our blood or something. I constantly multi-task, but I'm good at it. (Maybe because I juggled and wore so many hats as a single mom for all those years, but I do happen to think women are just good at that...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...you forgot to mention the things your were adding to the "to do" list in your mind as you were checking off what you were nearly finished with... as a mother of six and always trying to find time for art - I am a multi-tasker. But your thoughts made me think that if I concentrated on ONE thing maybe everything would get done sooner? Hmm, food for thought! I also love my moleskin for sketching - but have not found a good watercolor journal yet... keep up the search and let us know if you ever find one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on, KJ, you can do it!!

    I think you're right, Sue, it's born of necessity. Most moms don't have time for 3 trips to the table!

    Wow, Margaret, no doubt you'd have to be a multi-tasker! My Moleskine serves the purpose of sketchbook well. It's the need to paint my sketches that lands me in hot water. The search will indeed continue! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your description of your husband's breakfast. The end must surely justify the means - long may he continue to enjoy the process.
    This post certainly is food for thought, Laure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gillian, I do believe the man is onto something as he surely enjoys his breakfast! I'm so used to looking for efficiencies and doing more than one thing at the time that it challenges me to do less. But there's still time for me to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are spot on. Now, how can we learn to enjoy the process? I have too much to do to even think about the small things let alone enjoy them. Sigh~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are spot on. Now, how can we learn to enjoy the process? I have too much to do to even think about the small things let alone enjoy them. Sigh~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your husband could give lessons on uni-tasker. Are you sure he didn't write that article?!

    What a fun post says she who is waiting for paint to dry, washing clothes and freezing strawberries! Oh wait, I need to go take a shower and take a walk and clean the birdcage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, I'll let you know when I get that part figured out! Right now, I have no idea. Maybe like Kathy said, one task a day?

    I think most men are uni-taskers, Teri, but yes, Chris could definitely give lessons on that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband sounds like mine..must be a guy thing. lol
    I will be done eating & off doing something else by the time he gets his food to the table in the mornings. Then again there are those days when I start one thing that leads to another thing & another thing...that by the end of the day I have accomplished absolutely...nothing...Wasnt there an funny email about that some years ago?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laure, that is a hilarious story about your hubby!!! You're so correct it's truly entertaining to watch the guys go through their processes! and as for the 217 todo items...they'll always be waiting on us, so enjoy one process at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hate to break ranks, but I am not, and never have been a multi-tasker. It's one-thing-at-a-time for me. Maybe that's why I don't get as much done as I'd like? Since I'm only doing one thing at at time look at how many things I'm leaving undone at the same time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny post, enjoyed it very much. Like your previous Hobby Lobby painting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed the post, good for a laugh too! I am a multi-tasker to the max! I enjoyed your previous Hobby Lobby painting too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The reason your husband can take all that time and enjoy the process is because you were just washing his dishes, getting ready to wash his clothes and getting ready to fold his dry towels or clothes or whatever. I bet the crumbs get swept up by you as he goes off to do his next one-item-at-a-time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cris, I think you're right - it's a guy thing!

    I'm trying to learn, Myra, it's a work in progress for sure!

    I'm glad you've never fallen prey to the siren call of multi-tasking, T, it's a bear to get over!

    Thanks, Teresa!

    Timaree, I think you'd be a bit surprised—Chris is pretty self sufficient and he knew when he married me he was NOT getting a housekeeper! And luckily, he doesn't need one!! ;•)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got a wonderful chuckle out of your post, partly because I too can relate to being a multi-tasker living with a uni-tasker. When my hubby is foucused on his task, whatever I say seems to float in one ear and fall out the other. I have to make sure THE task is listening to me.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe