Bookbinding Workshop!

6:19 AM

Do you like to make your own sketchbooks?! I love to make my own as I get to personalize it to the size I want, the paper I like as well as adding special touches like different closing methods. But there are times when I don't have time to drag out all the paraphernalia you need to make a book, the glue,  the clamps and weights, cutting down the chipboard, waiting for things to dry, adding book cloth and so on. It's easy to become too intimidated by the idea of attempting to make a book and possible ruining a perfectly good sheet of (expensive!) watercolor paper?

I've been in both places actually, but there is something that's just too cool about making and using your own sketchbook that I keeps me coming back for more!

Do I dread the mess and the process of traditional bookmaking? Yes. It's mostly because I don't have an area where I can leave all the stuff out during the process (cutting, assembling, and drying time, etc.)

Have I messed up a sheet of paper before? Yep! The paper was still usable, just not in the format I had intended...which I try to look at as just another art adventure (after I get over being mad at myself).

If any of this sounds familiar to you, I invite you to come and join me at a Live and Learn Workshop on Saturday, July 29th! We'll be learning to create a Reverse Piano Hinge Sketchbook out of a single sheet of watercolor paper. Part of the reason I like this style so much is because there are so many ways to individualize the books to show personality and charm! Plus, it doesn't require any glue!

Below is the basic book we'll be learning. It is nearly square and has a self cover with a string tie closure which we'll also be making:

The back of the sketchbook shows the unique look of the binding. The actual hinge is "hidden" on the inside of the sketchbook. The hinge on the right in the image below shows some of the ways this sketchbook can be personalized:


 These next two sketchbooks are variations on the basic book. Regardless of size or format, they are both made from a single sheet of watercolor paper! The sketchbook below shows the added fun of changing up the string tie to a couple of silver leaves for the closures.
The next sketchbook is an even bigger departure in that it uses scrapbook paper for the covers (rather than a self-cover) and hinge. By using scrapbook paper, I also gave myself more pages inside. I also changed the size so that I have a long landscape view.

Another fun size for this book is  the 5.5 x 7.5 inch size. Again, it can be customized in endless ways!

Want to learn how to make your own sketchbook? Click on this link or the image on the sidebar for more info! Hope to see you in July!

You Might Also Like

2 Creative Thought(s)

  1. Sounds like fun, wish I could be there. You know I love to make books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be fun, Cheryl! I think you'd like this book too. It's easy peasy and doesn't require glue.

      Delete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe