Tea POT of Happiness, FULL of Joy, Reposted

5:51 AM

Reposted from April 2010! An oldie but a goody!
Watercolor over Ink
3.5 x 5.5 Moleskine WC Sketchbook

Here's something you probably don't know about me—I'm not a huge fan of black ink. It has its place, just not in my sketches. I'm not sure why I feel that way. Maybe because it's...well, because it's so dark? It seems stark to me. Now, in some sketches, other people's sketches, it looks great. In mine it looks....harsh. So why am I telling you this? Because I've started searching for an alternative (permanent) ink color to use in place of black. 

The teapot featured above is one of those little look-a-like Limoges boxes and is drawn with ZIG® Clean Color Real Brush Marker/Pen in Oatmeal. It's permanent ink, water resistant and can be blended. (BTW, did you know blendable is not a word? I didn't. The word is out there on the internet, but it's not in the dictionary. There, that's two things you've learned today.) I like the oatmeal color, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. 

I went with my Father-In-Law this morning to the eye doctor, well actually, to the surgeon as he had just cataract surgery. I was the designated driver and I had about 2.5 hours to kill. On the way out of the door this morning, I was looking for something to sketch and my eyes landed on this little teapot. It was left over from the yard sale this past weekend. I also took my computer as I had some work to do. When we arrived I pulled out the laptop and did my work. When that was finished I pulled out my little teapot.

I may have imagined it, but it seemed the volume went down for a second or three when I set the little teapot on the table so I could see it to sketch. Mind you, I was easily the youngest in the room by 25 years. Maybe 30. And I hadn't just had eye surgery!

I had the feeling that most of them were thinking "What is that young un' up to now?" (Remember, I'm in the South down here.) Finally, one brave soul leaned over and whispered loud enough for the other 21 folks in the room to hear, "Whutrudoin'? [Translation: what are you doing?]"

She had to have been eighty, if she was a day!

"Sketching," I replied with a smile. "Kinasee? [Translation: Can I see?]" she asked. I leaned over and showed her just the bare bones contour drawing (no paint yet). She looked at it a minute then stared at me a minute longer before saying, "Yous not too good, are you?"

To which I burst out laughing and said, "No, ma'am, I gotta long ole' waystago."
_______________

We can either enjoy the experience of other people looking over our shoulders or we can be intimidated, irritated or outraged. Me, personally? I think it adds to the experience. I can still remember her...she was very thin and her movements were bird-like, but she was curious enough to ask me what I was doing. There's a lot to be said for still being curious at eighty!

You Might Also Like

15 Creative Thought(s)

  1. What an experience. I had to tell my Dearly Beloved not to express his dismay at my paintings until they were finished. He usually changes his mind by the time they are finished. It took him awhile to trust the process. ha.. I can just imagine what you thought when she said that. I haven't seen oatmeal ink. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Lisa! My hubby always refused to comment until I was done as he knows how much a piece of work can change (both good and bad!), but he's also an artist. The Oatmeal ink was okay, but not a winner, long term. I am currently really like the Derwent Graphik Graphite ink. Looks a lot like pencil, but is permanent ink.

      Delete
  2. LOL Love this story Laure -- and love the idea of pen colors that aren't black ... Sepia is hard to find but I like that too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Faber Castell Pitt Pens in Sepia, but sometimes...I just want something lighter. I am currently really liking the Derwent Graphik Graphite ink. Looks a lot like pencil, but is permanent ink.

      Delete
  3. Oh Laure your post had me smiling. Great inspiration too - taking time to make the most of waiting. I have to take my mom Tues. to doctor - it will be a wait - will bring my sketch book along and make the most of the time. Thank you for inspiring me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I would do without my sketchbook when I'm waiting, Debbie! My patience is not what it used to be. I'll be at the doctor's with my mom on Wednesday so you can bet I'll have my sketchbook in hand...I also find it a good place to keep track on any notes I need to make!

      Delete
  4. Fun story. I go to an eye care center for my glaucoma and yes, most people are quite aged as I am actually one of the younger ones there on any given day; got glaucoma earlier than most too : (. Love your story and I can just imagine how it would go just like that! As for the word blendable, it will get into the dictionary if we keep using it. Ain't is in there as well as LOL because they are used so much. I've seen the zig blendables but didn't buy them - yet, lol. I did buy some new Zig writer pens - the whole big set of 'em as I really like them for their waterfastness and I thought they weren't being produced anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timaree, they may no longer be on the market. This post was originally from 2010. I do have some of the Zig writers and like them but they're too...marker-ish (another made up word!) for me. I want something more like the Faber-Castell PITT pens but in a gray with an actual point rather than a brush tip. Picky, picky, I know!

      Delete
  5. Have you tried Noodler's Lexington Gray? I find it to be the only Noodler's ink that is waterproof for me, and i think it's less harsh than black. De Atrementis makes several colors of water proof ink too. The only one I've tried so far is black, but you might have a look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the Lex Gray and it's currently in one of my pens...but it's still a little on the dark side for me. I love the De Atrementis colors but unfortunately, my fountain pens don't like the ink. It's clogged two of them! Thanks for the idea though.

      Delete
  6. I was just about to write what Cheryl (above) wrote. Noodlers Lexington Grey in a fountain pen. And the DeAtrimentis Document inks are also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy, I do have Lex Gray and use it when I travel. The document inks have not worked well with my pens, but I do like them in the studio.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure glad you reposted this entry with the charming teapot. I don't remember seeing it back in 2010. I also prefer ink not as dark as black. Like the others have suggested, I picked up some Lexington Grey but I haven't actually used it much. Although I have fountain pens, I find myself reaching for the trusty old disposables. I need to get braver and "just go for it" with one of my fountain pens and Lexington Grey. Cute story about the old folks in the waiting room. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the Lex Gray as it isn't as harsh as black, but I still sometimes crave something even lighter. The Derwent Graphik Graphite ink pen is my current favorite. Looks a lot like pencil, but is permanent ink. And yes, go for it, when your hand is better!

      Delete
  8. Great story Laure. I spend I lot of time caring for elders but the day is here that I am an "elder" as well.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe